Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Spending a Day Killing Time

I recently got back from a trip to Chareleston, SC. It was a blast, but I mainly wanted to write about a couple things that I realized about life while I was there. First of all, thanks to God for making sure that I have a home. Hopefully, the closest I'll ever be to homeless is having to check out of a hotel, but not having a flight for 8 hours. Basically, you have nowhere to go, you have to rely on public restrooms, and you have to find something to do to take up time.

Honestly, I take my home for granted often and those of us with dry, warm, and safe homes really shouldn't. It's harder than you would think to have nothing to do and nowhere to go. It was difficult for me to kill 6 hours, let alone with figuring out where I could go to the bathroom. I can't imagine having to spend my day moving around, trying to find somewhere safe to sleep, go to the bathroom, shower, or even just sit down. I'm going to be sure to appreciate how blessed I am more often.

Here's a quick description of my adventures killing time. After I checked out of my hotel, I headed out to Summerville, SC and I found a farmer's market! I love Farmer's Markets! Nothing warms my heart like tents, fresh produce, and old people. I bought some delicious Strawberries and I wish I would have taken a picture of them.


Unfortunately, I really couldn't buy more than I could eat in a couple hours since I had to get on a plane later that day. I missed out on some really pretty tomatoes, but I think that was God's way of reminding me that I had 2 tomato plants at home wanting to find their happy homes in my garden, so I needed to get home and get out my shovel! I came home more resolved to find a farmer's market in KC. I think it's been 3 years since I been to one and I can't believe it. I went every week when I lived in Iowa-but it's pretty darn easy in Iowa:)

After I wandered through the market, I walked across the street to eat lunch at Carolina Jo's, where the special is Quiche. Although, I didn't try the quiche, it was an interesting experience. It was a tiny diner and the owner was sitting at a table gabbing with a customer the whole time I was there, minus the 7 or so minutes it took to make my lunch. I didn't like the salad dressing, but I'm hard to please when it comes to salad dressing...

I headed to the Dorchester County museum and the 85-yr-old sweet lady who worked there told me to head down the street to the 100 year old pharmacy to buy an ice cream cone at the soda fountain. I had never been to an old-fashioned drug store before and it seemed to be pretty much the same, except with newer drugs. After the ice cream, I still had 4 hours to kill...so i thought, where can I hang out?

I went the park, laid out my jacket and read Harry Potter #6 for the second time. I read in the park for 2 hours, but I got too hot. So, I went to Target and bought a shirt and flip flops for my trip home. Then, I went to the airport and finished Harry Potter. It was a really exciting day!


No comments: