Thursday, April 9, 2009

Can anyone Twitter?

I know this is a silly question, because anyone can Twitter, but should anyone Twitter? I've been thinking about that a lot lately because I recently noticed that I've started to think about my life in one sentence announcements that I want to shout out to the world. If that sounds crazy, well, I blame it on Facebook and the thousands of status updates that I can read at any moment of the day. I can see what my long lost friend from high school was thinking about 37 minutes ago and for some reason, I got addicted. So, I started to think about Twittering, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't need to update everyone on my life. My life really isn't that interesting.
Let me give you an example of what a day of my Twitters would look like:
Angie wants to sleep in until 8.
Angie wantes to sleep in until 9.
Angie is at work, but wants to be in bed.
Angie is hungry and getting cranky.
Angie doesn't understand why jobs can be so annoying, why can't people follow instructions.
Angie is tired of writing emails.
Angie just went pee for the 10th time this morning (thanks pregnancy).
Angie can't believe how some people can get a license.
Would you drive your damn car?! please!
Angie really doesn't want to play volleyball tonight, it's too cold outside.
Angie says MMMM, McDonalds has good french fries.
Angie's feet feel like blocks of ice, sand volleyball is for warm weather.
Angie says, "ball please don't come my way!"
Angie is glad that game is over. Hopefully, my feet will thaw out.
Angie is TIRED and going to sleep.

I'm not sure about you, but I just wouldn't find my 15 posts that fascinating. Maybe because they just happened to me, but I don't think that is the only reason. My life is "normal" and who cares about "normal"? So, I've decided not to pollute cyberspace too much and keep my thoughts and stupid updates to blogs and Facebook.

Let me take a second to explain why I blame Facebook for my recently abandoned obsession with updates. In my opinion, the real culprit is the status update. I think it took me about 2 years to even post a status update because I really thought that I should have something exciting or ingenious to say. Since I didn't, I kept quiet. But then everybody started to update their status, all the time. So I started to do it too. All of a sudden, I was driving to work thinking about interesting sentences that I could post on my profile to let my 436 friends, to whom I seldom speak, know what cool thing I'm doing/thinking/feeling. Here's a sad example, when I found out I was pregnant, one of the first (but definitely not the first) things I thought about was how I would craft the perfect sentence to announce my bundle of joy. I spent hours thinking about what to write and had a legitimate conversation with my husband about how we would put it up on Facebook. Then, I realized, I have crossed a line and I must go back.

My status update last night was "Does anyone else think about their life in one sentence announcements?" I got one thumbs up, so and so likes this. I was proud!

No comments: