Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sometimes, I'm Pretty Funny

Do you ever read things that you wrote months ago and think, "I'm a comical genius"? I might not actually be a comical genius, but I think I can be pretty funny. Sometimes, I'm even funny and smart in the same paragraph. I'm totally amazed when I find these pieces of literary wit on my computer. So, I decided to paste some of these gems. Here are my thoughts on personal statements. Enjoy:) p.s. I'm not really counting this post towards fulfilling my NYR, it would be cheating I think since I already wrote this.

personal statements
have you ever written a personal statement? they are difficult. i always want to throw in bits of personality-like avoiding capitalization or mizpelling certan words-since you have to convey yourself to an audience in 600 words. Since I tend to air on the side of too informal or too formal, it is tough for me to figure out what to say. On top of that, I'm a perfectionist, so I will spend 3 days writing 600 words. This is also saddening b/c I already wrote this personal statement last year for the application that didn't get me in.Bottom line, I will encourage creativity in language if I ever serve on an admissions committee:)

Personal Statements and Rejection
I just finished reading my post about personal statements. I decided to write about how useless they really are. Apparently, my personal statement had no bearing on the decision whether or not to let me into dental school, since I got my rejection letter exactly one week ago today. Now-I am certain that my statement was probably the best one they read, so I guess that means that grades, DAT scores, or timing was more important. What exactly does this mean for me? I'm not sure, rejection is a hard pill to swallow, but I'm not really sure I even want to be a dentist. I more or less just want the opportunity to decide if I want to be a dentist at this point. When I received the news I was not getting an interview last year, I immediately felt resolve to reapply, quickly followed by devastation. I didn't feel that this year, just disappointment and hurt. Maybe that's ok, maybe I'm not supposed to work on teeth for a living.

No comments: