Monday, May 11, 2009

More Travels!

Here are some pics of my trip to La Conner and Seattle, WA. The Pacific Northwest is absolutely, stunningly beautiful, even with the rain. I recommend this as a travel destination, but bring a jacket, it's pretty chilly and it rains:)
Unfortunately, I missed the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival by one week:(


After we left La Conner, I headed to Seattle for some fun with my friend Cooper. While she was at work, I headed off on the bus to Pike Place Market. Like I said, nothing warms my heart like produce at farmer's markets, in this case, hippies replace old farmers, but I like hippies too. There is so much to take in at the market, it is a one-of-a-kind experience. When you are in Seattle, you really must go to the market. If you don't buy it yet, listen to this story...I went about 5 years ago and standing right under that big sign was an old man who had a pet possum standing on his shoulder. The possum would give him kisses and the man had no teeth. If that isn't something worth seeing, I don't know what is. Unfortunately, he wasn't there on Friday, I was really disappointed. Maybe I missed his shift. But, even if you don't see the possum man, there are a lot of really great street performers, musicians, and other interesting people hanging around the market. There are also so many shops, stalls, and restaurants, it's hard to keep track of where you've already been. Luckily, I went to the market without eating a whole lot, because it's a great place to get food! In fact, I could pretty much only think about food the whole time I was there (perhaps in part due to the fact that I'm pregnant, but definitely not 100% attributable). Luckily, I had the low down on places to eat from Mike and Heather, so I found my way to a place they told me had the most delicious homemade macaroni and cheese-Beecher's Homemade Cheese. They were right. I can't even put into words how decatant and cheesy this pasta-marvelous bit of heaven tasted. Here's a picture (I'm getting hungry as I type this, that's how great it was). In all fairness, I should disclose that I love cheese, especially melted cheese. I was determined to have this, because on my trip to Charleston I missed out on a different form of melted cheese at Juanita Greenberg's Nacho Royale. I've been regretful ever since and I wasn't about to leave Seattle with the same "what-if" hanging over me for months.

After the macaroni and cheese, I wanted to have some fruit, so I went back to find a produce vendor. The one note of caution I should say is that all the produce people are located by at least least one fish person. You really can't get away from the smell of seafood unless you're standing next by someone who smells like incense (it's pretty easy to find a few) or you go into a non-seafood resaturant. You get used to the odor and it's totally worth it! Again, I was reminded that I needed to find a Farmer's Market in K.C. and go, even if it means getting up early on Saturday. 're in a non-seafood restaurant, but you get used to the odor and it's totally worth it.

The other great thing about the market is all the flower vendors and the prices are amazing. It's hard to describe all the colors, shapes, and sizes of the tulips and other flowers there. And then, these little ladies will put them into affordable bouquets and you can take them home! It's a lot better than the grocery store florist. I had to get some flowers for Mike and Heather's condo.
Here's a pic of my flowers on the bus ride home.









Later that night, Mike and Heather took me to West Seattle. Here's me and you're looking at downtown Seattle, but you can't see the Space Needle. It's amazing how much water surrounds Seattle. Look at an up-close map of Seattle, it's surprising.

No comments: