Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Trying new things

While in Maine, I did something that I haven’t done in a long time, I tried a new food! I ate a lobster roll! My previous experience with lobster has always been limited to a nibble and then the thought of, “Eww, I don’t like it.”

Since I was in Maine, I couldn’t have forgiven myself if I didn’t try lobster. I decided to just go for it,-and I LIKED IT! This was totally life-altering for me, I realized that most of the reason that I didn't like lobster before was that I thought that I didn't like it. I made a resolution to try things that I've previously written off as gross.


In addition, it got me to think about how important trying new foods is in the quest to eat healthy (especially in the vegetable department). There are many foods I hated as a kid that are now some of my favorites. If I wouldn’t have given asparagus or green beans another chance, I would have never discovered how delicious they are! Eating the lobster roll inspired me to try raw kale at the farmer’s market. It’s not something that I would normally have purchased at the grocery store, but I started talking to the farmer and he told me how to prepare it. Then, he asked, “Would you like to try it?” I thought, “Why not?” and took a bite and it wasn’t bad.


Here are a few other foods that I've tried this summer (with more or less taste success). Korean BBQ-see the picture, the bowl on the right was my dish and the meat on the grill was Sean's dish. I wish that I could remember their names.

However, I will share one thing that I learned from our Korean BBQ experiment. It might be a good idea when trying new ethnic foods to google it beforehand or bring along someone who knows about it. If you happen to go to a restaurant that has few pictures and even fewer English descriptions, you're in trouble. This can be even more complicated if your waiter doesn't speak much English and can't explain what's in the dish or how to eat it. Then, if you go home and google your food, you won't feel stupid when you find out that you ate it in the way that everyone makes fun of on the internet.

Frog legs-I've had plenty of opportunities to eat frog legs, but never partook. Here's a picture of my cousin, Eric, eating the frogs that he caught the night before with my brother and my dad.
Not that I condone killing poor little frogs, but it wasn't nearly as disturbing to eat as I'd previously imagined. I mean I guess they were deep-fried, so how bad could they taste, right? But, honestly, I'd steal some meat from Sean the next time my family has them. Maybe, I'll even get my own frog (doubtful, but maybe).

The lesson I've learned is that I really have to give things a chance. I have to make a commitment to trying new foods, the first bite isn't usually spectacular, but it's worth it to take a second and a third. I really want my kids to grow up healthy and strong and being a good example of how and what to eat is a really important piece of that. So, cheers to all the new foods that I'm going to try!

No comments: