Wednesday, July 22, 2009

More Travels with Angie

I recently went to Portland, ME (by recently, I mean about a month ago, but that's all relative, right?). Unfortunately, it was rainy and chilly when I got to Portland, so I didn’t explore the Old Port area as much as I would have liked! But, I did get the to see the a beautiful light house, th Portland Head Lamp. I was told it is one of the most photographed light houses in the United States. I had never been to Maine before and it was a much different coastline than the beaches that I am used to visiting. It was really quite beautiful. It's too bad that it was so foggy, because on the shoreline in the background of this picture were houses that backed up to the ocean. Wouldn't it be amazing if that were the view from your back porch! Wow! You couldn't help but recognize the wonder and beauty of the world every single day. In the Kansas City suburbs, it's easy for me to forget how amazing our planet is and that I need to do more to protect it.

I really like to travel and see new things. I am totally the type of person who bought 1000 Things to See Before You Die and looks up what things I can see out of the book before I go somewhere. Considering the book covers the entire world, I know for certain that I won't hit them all, but I like trying. Unfortunately, I have not travelled internationally very often, so I have about 995 things more to see. I should have gotten 1000 Things to See in the U.S., oh well, at least now I have a better shot of crossing the U.S. sites off my list.

I'm also the type of person who bought a map of the U.S. about 7 years ago just so that I could mark where I had been. I still have a significant number of states to visit, so I really need to get cracking. I think that a good road trip would help out here, but not right now, it would entail too many bathroom breaks:)

Road trips probably aren't as glamourous as they are in my mind, but I think that travelling across the country would be one amazing experience. I really wish I would have done it when I had no responsibilities. In high school, I read a book called, The Majic Bus, about a college course that took a 6 week bus trip across the U.S. and became enamored with the idea. I've been seriously thinking about taking the baby (once she's older) on an educational road trip and stopping at important sites across the country, just like in the book, but I haven't talked to Sean about this yet. I figure I have about 10 years to get him to say yes. In the meantime, I should start doing my research about what places my kids NEED to see. I'll probably start with the ones I need to see before I die.

No comments: